La Laguna – the city of the university and artists
San Cristóbal de la Laguna is the former capital of Tenerife and adjoins the new capital Santa Cruz. The city was founded at a lake and that's why it got the name La Laguna.
In the mean time, the lake has dried up. Here is much bustle on the streets, also because of the students from all over the world. La Laguna has the only university on the Canary Islands. In the city centre, the streets run like a chequered pattern. There you can find many pubs and typical Canary bars. The culture of this city is also very important. Several churches and monasteries are placed on the Plazas (squares).
The suburbs of La Laguna and Santa Cruz de Tenerife merge into each other. The municipality of San Cristóbal de La Laguna measures 102,06km² and the town centre La Laguna is about 550 metres above sea level. The altitude accordingly influences the weather which is about 4 degrees colder than in Santa Cruz.
• Activities in the area of La Laguna:
- Nightlife in nightclubs, bars & discoteques
- Trips to Playa Roquete, Playa Arenal or Playa San Juan
- Hiking/mountainbiking in the Anaga mountains
- House Casa Montañez
- Museum of science and cosmos
- Historic museum
- Cathedral de los Remedios
- Museum of sacral art
- Anthropolic museum
- Plaza del Atelantado – square with monasteries, cathedrals and dragon trees