Interesting and informative - Visit a museum on Tenerife
Learning during your holidays? Why not! When you have still free time between going to the beach and enjoying the water, you could also visit one of the museums.
To make it easier for you, we wrote down a list with the interesting exhibitions and museums.
Take a look and maybe you will find something you like!
You are interested in nature and ethnology?
You should go to the Museo de la Naturaleza y el Hombre that is located in the Calle Fuente Morales in Santa Cruz de Tenerife. This nature and ethnology museum is also known as the Guanchen-Museum. Here they show e.g. mummies and skulls of the natives. A big part of the museum is about the Ocean and the different kinds of minerals. The Museo de la Naturaleza y el Hombre is open from Tuesday till Sunday from 9:00am untill 7:000pm. On Mondays, the museum is closed.
- The history of the step pyramides in Güímar is quite interesting. To learn more about it you could visit the ethnological museum Pirámides de Güímar. Here you will also learn about the explorer of the pyramids Thor Heyerdahl. The museum opens daily from 9:30am till 6pm (the Pirámides de Güímar is just closed on the 25th of December and the 1st of January). The museum of ethnology is located in Güímar (Las Chafiras) in the street Calle Antropologo Thor Heyerdahl.
Accommodations on good value in San Andres / Santa Cruz
Art is your passion?
- If you are interested in art you should visit the TEA-Tenerife Espacio de las Artes, this is the art and culture centre of the island. The property has a size of around 20.600m² and here you can find the Instituto Oscar Domínguez, the Centro de Fotografía Isla de Tenerife and the library of the island. The culture-centre is located in the Avenida de San Sebastián (Santa Cruz de Tenerife) and the opening hours are from Tuesday till Sunday from 10:00am till 08:00pm.
- If the art and culture centre is to big for you, there is another smaller museum of arts. It is also located in Santa Cruz de Tenerife (in the Calle José Murphy, 12). This museum is quite small but has big art. You will be surprised by the interesting collection.
The opening hours: Tuesday untill Friday from 10am till 8pm, and Saturdays and Sundays from 10am till 3pm.
However, if you are interested in scientific experiments and or the cosmos, following museum could be the right for you:
- The Museo de la Ciencia y el Cosmos (museum of sciences and of the cosmos) is a nice idea for a day trip also with children. In this museum you can learn while having fun and getting entertained. They want to teach sciences with tricks, experiments and games. Two of the main attractions are the machine of scare and the lie detector. The Museo de la Ciencia y el Cosmos is located in La Laguna in the Via Láctea (near the motorway). The museum is open from Tuesday untill Saturday from 9am till 7pm.
Find your accommodation in La Laguna / Santa Cruz
In following museums you can learn about the country and its people:
- The Casa de Carta is an ethnologic museum and is about the life and the canary architecture of the 18th century. It is located in Valle Guerra, at the street that leads from Tacoronte to Tejina. You can see a big collection of antique furniture, household goods, looms, cloth and tools that got used on Tenerife. The opening hours are from Tuesday till Saturday from 10am till 5pm and on Sundays from 10am till 2pm.
- The outdoor museum Pinolere is also very interesting and worth a visit. It is on a size of approximately 3000m² and shows a recreated village. Here you will learn about the daily life and the life style of the former countrymen who lived in the Pajares (altitudes) of La Orotava. Another topic of the museum is the history of the region. The museum is located near the street that leads from La Orotava in direction to the Teide National Park. There are signs that lead you to Pinolere. You can visit the outdoor museum from Tuesday till Sunday from 10am till 2pm.
- If you want to learn about the history of the Guanchen, the natives of Tenerife, you should visit the Museo de Historia de Tenerife. The history museum is located in the Calle San Agustín, 22 in La Laguna. It is open from Tuesday till Sunday from 9am till 6:30pm.
Here you will find nice and artfully things:
- In the old part of La Orotava you can see the famous and beautiful historical buildings with their balcony and the patios that are decorated with flowers. If you are interested you should visit the Casa de los Balcones where is also the school of embroidery. On the upper level is a small museum about the life of the former country gentry. The magnificent and fancy embroideries are still made according to traditional Canary manner. The buildings and the school are to be found in the Calle San Francisco 3 to 4. Opening hours: Monday till Saturday from 8:30am till 6:30pm.
- Right next to the Casa de los Balcones is the Museo de Alfombras. This museum is full of extraordinary exhibits e.g.: flower carpets and lava sand carpets. The museum is located in the Casa Jiménez-Franchi and is open from Monday till Saturday from 10am till 6pm.
- The ceramic museum Casa Tafuriaste is also located in La Orotava. Around 1000 ceramic arts are to be seen in here. The museum opens daily from 10am and it is located in the Calle León 3. If you want to, you can also buy some of the ceramic art.
In the end an advice for wine lovers: The La Baranda is the house of wine and located in El Sauzal. Here you get a lot of information about the vineyard-cultivation on Tenerife. They offer wine-tastings and sell the wine. The opening hours are different: The opening hours are between the 01.04. untill the 31.10. from Wednesday till Saturdays from 10:30am till 9:30pm and on Tuesdays from 11:30am till 6:30pm. The opening hours between the 01.11. untill the 31.03. are: Tuesdays from 10:30am 6:30pm and on Holidays from from 11:30am till 5:30pm.
Good to know: On Tenerife are 5 vineyard-cultivations with 46 different kinds of wine.
This is a large offer! Hopefully we could get you interested in the museums and maybe you will go and visit.