Arona at the bottom of the popular hiking route Roque del Conde
At the bottom of the table mountain Roque del Conde, at an altitude of 650 m, lies the beautiful town of Arona. It is a big municipal area with around 30000 people altogether. The popular holiday town of Los Cristianos is also part of it.
The typical Canary village of Arona has a beautiful plaza in front of a parish church, a town hall and the church San Antonio Abad with many interesting art treasures in its interior. Due to the naturalness of the village, Arona is a popular holiday destination.
Arona is one of the most respected municipalities in the south of Tenerife because it has a bit of everything: wonderful beaches, tourist and shopping centres on the coast; at the same time, the village itself is a quiet and peaceful place in the middle of a beautiful natural landscape.
The region of Arona extends from the coast to an altitude of around 610 m above sealevel.
Already on the way to Arona, you can see how the landscape changes: lush gardens, lava with endemic flora and wonderful air smelling of wild herbs delight your senses.
In the centre, you can still find the old south in some parts, like the church and the town hall characterized by an interesting mixture of colonial style and pre-hispanic times.
Arona is the starting point for nice hikes on the table mountain Roque del Conde or in the nationalpark.
The coast of Arona offers a large variety of activities in the open air, e. g. water sports, tennis, sightseeing. In the neighbouring municipality of Adeje is a well-known starting point for paragliding.
In the near distance begins the nationalpark del Teide.
The attractive beaches Playa Vista, Playa Las Américas, Playa Fañabe and 3 golf courses are only 15 km away from the town centre.
• Activities in the area of Arona:
- Hiking in the national park del Teide
- Swimming, diving and snorkeling at the beach
- Surfing in the surfspots El Guincho, El Cabezo Grande or Playa Honda
- Stud farm with rides and riding lessons for beginner and advanced riders
- Golf courses in a circuit of 15 km
- Bike tours to Vilaflor, Fasnia, black vulcano (Volcan Negro)
• Theme parks:
- Parque Las Aguilas - jungle park & eagle park
- Rood San Antonio
- Tree Almácigo de Arona
- Cultural project Mariposa Park
- Centro de Orquideas – orchid garden